Home » Headlines » Why NECO, WAEC results are withheld – Panel

Why NECO, WAEC results are withheld – Panel

THE candidates whose results are being withheld by the National Examination Council (NECO) and West African Examinations Council (WAEC) at various times, may be hoping in vain for the release of their results as report indicated that 83 per cent of those results had been cancelled for alleged examination malpractices.

This was contained in the report submitted at the weekend to the Minister of Education, Professor Ruqayyatu Ahmed Rufai by the 12-man Ministerial Committee on ‘Release My Result’, she constituted on June 29, 2010 to look into the plethora of complaints against withholding of candidates’ results by the public examination bodies.

The committee headed by Professor Garuba Azare, while submitting the report and recommendation of the committee to the minister in Abuja, said that the committee made extensive research on the problems and was able to come up with concrete findings and recommendations which the committee was optimistic would help solve the problem.

He said that the committee only succeeded in releasing three per cent of the total number of withheld results while 83 per cent of the results were cancelled due to examination malpractices.

He said most of the results that were withheld were cancelled as a result of examination malpractices.

He said further that the committee received and analysed a total of four hundred and two thousand, eight hundred and twenty-one (402, 821) candidates’ complaints and equally visited the examination bodies and interacted with their staff.

He said the committee invited complaints from candidates through the print and electronic media which were forwarded to the secretary of the committee for onward dispatch to the examination bodies for resolution.

He revealed that some students were not even able to fill their forms and exam sheets correctly which brought various forms of withholding of results and for a serious re-orientation of students by their various schools, state and federal ministries of education.

Azare said the committee had recommended that there should be more collaboration between the Examination bodies, including the exchange of facilities so as to minimise the problems of results been withheld.

The chairman said that though the committee was given four weeks from the time of inauguration to submit report and recommendation, but circumstances beyond its control especially the slow rate at which complaints were received from the states and FCT coupled with a number of public holidays caused the delay in the submission of the report.

The minister of education, Prof. Ruqayyatu Ahmed worried by the number of increased complaints on the pages of newspaper and sometimes on radio by parents and students on non-release of JAMB, WAEC, NECO among other examination results had on assumption of office set up committee to look into that and then recommend to her measures to curb recurrence.

Receiving the report on behalf of the minister, the permanent secretary, ministry of education, Professor Nicholas Damachi thanked the members of the committee for working tirelessly to move the nation forward.

He promised to convey the report to the minister, assuring that when fully implemented, “the lingering issue of late release of results and its other controversies on educational system will be greatly minimised”.

The release my result committee has Prof. Garub Azare as Chairman, Dr. Flora Adegbora of ministry of education as secretary; Alhaji Hussaini Halilu Pai of FCT education secretariat, Adolf Nebechukwu of NECO, Prof. Dibu Ojerinde of JAMB as members.

Other members of the committee are; Prof. S.R.A Nworgu, Mallam Murtala Aubakar, Hajiya Halima Isyaku, Mrs. Patricia Ojakovo of legal department, ministry of education, Mr. John Otokpen of NABTEB, and Mr. J.O.Oke of WAEC.

-Tribune

Short URL: http://newnigerianpolitics.com/?p=2478

Posted by on Jan 16 2011. Filed under Headlines. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

You’re unstable, focus on whereabouts of your imported wife – Atiku knocks Oshiomhole

Headlines

2023: We pressured Obi to dump PDP — Igbo elders

Categories

Browse Elections 2023

Featuring Top 5/53 of Elections 2023

What FG should do with Nnamdi Kanu – Falana

Browse Africa & World Politics

Featuring Top 3/2273 of Africa & World Politics

Browse National Politics

Featuring Top 5/1258 of National Politics

Knocks as running-mate Kashim Shetima likens Bola Tinubu to late Sani Abacha

Browse NNP Columnists

Featuring Top 10/1525 of NNP Columnists

He has two planes, where is his company? – Peter Obi asks Tinubu and supporters

Advertisements

FEATURED VIDEOS

UK Govt in talks with Nigeria to receive migrants rejected for asylum in the UK

ARCHIVES

January 2011
S M T W T F S
« Dec   Feb »
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  

© 2022 New Nigerian Politics. All Rights Reserved. Log in - Designed by Gabfire Themes