Western Union Fraud: Two bank officials arraigned, granted bailHeadlines Friday, April 15th, 2011
Two officials of Skye Bank Plc, Agodi, Ibadan branch, have been arraigned before a chief magistrate’s court on a three-count charge of forgery and stealing.
According to the charge, the bank officials, Funmi Adekanbi and Adebukola Ademola, were accused of conspiring to commit felony including forgery and stealing, thereby committing an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 516 of the Criminal Code Cap 38 Voll. II Laws of Oyo State of Nigeria 2000.
They were accused of forging the name of Kazeem Oludare Olukunle on a Western Union Money Transfer form to receive money with the intent to steal, contrary to and punishable under Section 467 of the Criminal Code Cap 38 Voll. II Laws of Oyo State of Nigeria 2000.
They were further accused of unlawfully and fraudulently stealing $3,300 being property of one Rotimi Onadipe and thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 383 and punishable under Section 390 (a) of the Criminal Code Cap 38 Voll. II Laws of Oyo State of Nigeria 2000.
The accused pleaded not guilty to the charges and were subsequently granted bail by the chief m agistrate, Mrs. O. Oyediran.
They were granted bail with two sureties having two years tax clearance and N500,000.
The case was subsequently adjourned till April 27, 2011.
Onadipe, who is the Chief Executive Director, Pure Honey Ventures, Ibadan, had earlier petitioned the Governor, Central Bank of Nigeria, Mallam Sanusi Lamido, and the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Hafiz Ringim, over the alleged Western Union Money Transfer fraud in bank.
Onadipe, in the petition dated December 27, 2010, a copy of which was made available to our correspondent in Ibadan, Oyo State capital, claimed that he lost $3,300 in two instalments of $1,800 and $1,500 each to the nefarious activities of some officials of the Agodi branch of the bank in Ibadan.
He said the amount was sent to him on March 13, 2009 by his Malaysia-based business partner, Dr. Matthew Sebastian. The money, he explained, was meant for some consignments of honey to be supplied to Sebastian.
Onadipe said he was shocked when he could not access the money at a branch of another bank in Mokola, Ibadan.
He added that upon investigation, it was revealed that the money was picked up at the Agodi branch of Skye Bank about 21 minutes after it was sent.
- BY NDAHI MARAMA MAIDUGURI – No fewer than 45 suspected members of Boko Haram sect have been killed in an encounter with military troops when the terrorists attempted to invade and take over Bama Local Government Area of Borno State. Over 30 of the insurgents were also injured in the fierce battle with security operatives that lasted for over 5 hours. The incident according to sources started in the early hours of Monday at about 5:30am. This is even as an unconfirmed report revealed that another group of the insurgents were sighted on Monday around Mafa Local Government Area and Kayamula villages of Konduga Local Government Area near Maiduguri metropolis, but the ones sighted around Kayamula village were killed by military troops, while those around Mafa were suspected to be making frantic effort to enter the metropolis. Army-war Bama is about 76 kilometres drive and south east of Maiduguri, the state capital which had witnessed series of deadly attacks by suspected terrorists. A competent source said, “the insurgents stormed the town through Bama-Banki-Gwoza Road but were intercepted by gallant military troops near the Bama Mobile Police Unit located about 5 kilometers away from Bama town. The Boko Haram insurgents were said to have tactically attempted to enter Bama town in convoy of military vehicles and motorcycles wearing military uniform armed with sophisticated weapons and local Improved Explosive Devices (IEDs).
- Wait for the true story of my romance tale with Peter Okoye of P-square- Munachi Abii
- NFF Crisis: Chris Giwa dismisses ban threat (Ignorant fools – when FIFA bans, that is when they will react)
- Boko Haram turns Police college to training camp –Survivor
- FIFA axe dangles over Nigeria again: Insists on September elections (Worthless & Thieving fools)
Short URL: http://newnigerianpolitics.com/?p=6639