Home » Boko Haram, Haruna Manu Isah, Headlines » Northerners in Delta attacked —50 injured

Northerners in Delta attacked —50 injured

Share

 

ABOUT 20 people were killed, on Friday, by masked gunmen, believed to be members of the Boko Haram sect, who targeted a town hall in Mubi, Adamawa State.

Residents in the town said those killed were Igbo.

They had been meeting to organise how to transport the body of a kinsman shot dead by gunmen on motorbikes on Thursday evening to their hometown.

Image maker of the state police command, ASP Altine Daniel, confirmed the Friday incident to Saturday Tribune, but said she was on her way to Mubi with the Commissioner of Police, Mr. Adenrele Shinaba, as of the time she was contacted on the telephone.

The sect members also reportedly attacked a church in Gombe, Gombe State, on Thursday, killing at least six people, said the church’s pastor, Johnson Jauro.

Jauro said the killings took place when gunmen burst into his Deeper Life Church in the city.

He said his wife was among those killed. Ten other people were injured.

“The attackers started shooting sporadically. They shot through the window of the church, and many people were killed, including my wife,” Mr. Jauro said.

According to him, “many members who attended the church service were also injured.”

In another development, irate youths, in Sapele, Delta State, on Friday, attacked an Hausa community, injuring about 50 people.

It was alleged that the action was in retaliation of the attacks on Southerners living in the North by the Boko Haram.

The youths, numbering about 2,000, reportedly stormed the community where bomb explosions were recorded in December 2011, as early as 7.00 a.m. with weapons and chased the dwellers who ran in different directions.

Those who were injured in the attack are said to be receiving treatment in different hospitals after they were rescued by security agents who arrived at the scene after a distress call by the leaders of the community.

Saturday Tribune learnt that a timely deployment of soldiers and policemen in the area prevented the youths from burning the two mosques in the area, as they were said to be carrying substances suspected to be gasoline and matches.

The development was said to have caused traffic jam in the area, even as shops  and commercial banks located along Hausa Road, Urhobo Road, Market Road, Cemetry Road, Palm Avenue and Yoruba Road hurriedly closed for fear of vandalisation.

The youths marched with weapons like cutlasses, axes and knives, causing panic among the people.

Head teacher of the Children Muslim school in the area, Mallam Abdul Rasaq, confirmed that over 50 men and women sustained injuries and have been admitted to various hospitals within and outside Sapele. He said some people have relocated to a safe place in the meantime.

Secretary of a Muslim media group in Sapele, Sadiq Oniyesaneyene Musa, told journalists that: “We are disturbed by this attack and the threat that Muslims in Sapele should return to the North. I am a Muslim and an Itsekiri from Delta State, where do they want me to go. This is my home.”

Musa said the youths injured a lot of faithful.

“We called the director of the State Security Service (SSS), Asaba and the Area Commander and they responded. The Joint Task Force (JTF) in the Niger-Delta also deployed soldiers to take care of the situation,” he said.

The Chief Imam of Sapele Central Mosque, Alhaji Mohammed Usman, condemned the attack.

As of 10.00 a.m. when Saturday Tribune visited the scene, the two mosques, which were locked up were being guarded by security men.

A victim, Mallam Isa Yakubu, said cash and other items were stolen during the attack.

Two people suspected to have participated in the onslaught were, however, arrested by the police.

Delta State police spokesman, Charles Muka, a Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP), confirmed the incident, but said it was the handiwork of hoodlums who wanted to cause confusion in order to loot.

“As I speak to you, normalcy has been restored in Sapele. Policemen are patrolling the affected area to ensure that there is peace and security.”

In a related development, no fewer than 30 people, mainly Northerners, were killed, on Friday, in Okene, Kogi State, after the articulated vehicle carrying them  ran into a gully.

It was gathered that many others sustained injuries in the accident.

Saturday Tribune gathered that the people were travelling from Onitsha, Anambra State and were heading for the North when the trailer conveying them lost control as a result of a brake failure.

A witness said the accident occurred at about 9.00 a.m. at a curve at Obangede Junction, near a police station at Ogaminana, in Adavi Local Government Area.

The policemen on duty and men of the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) helped the injured to the hospital in Okene, while the dead were evacuated to Obangede Specialist Hospital mortuary.

It was gathered that the passengers were heading back home as a result of the security problem in the country.

-Tribune

 

Related Posts

EasyFreeAds Blog News Facebook Twitter Myspace Friendfeed Technorati del.icio.us Digg Google Yahoo Buzz StumbleUpon

Short URL: http://newnigerianpolitics.com/?p=16408

Posted by on Jan 7 2012. Filed under Boko Haram, Haruna Manu Isah, Headlines. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Headlines

NNP BREAKING NEWS:

Categories

Browse National Politics

Featuring Top 5/832 of National Politics

Browse Corruption Politics

Featuring Top 3/135 of Corruption Politics

fvevveee

Advertisement

Browse NNP Columnists

Featuring Top 10/1305 of NNP Columnists

Browse Books & Magazines

Featuring Top 4/15 of Books & Magazines

Alleged corruption: EFCC replies Fayose

--

FEATURED VIDEOS

SEARCH POSTS BY DAY & MONTH

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1
23
4
5678
91011
1213
14
151617
18
19202122232425
262728293031

© 2019 New Nigerian Politics. All Rights Reserved. Log in - Designed by Gabfire Themes