Man beaten to coma for alleged ritual activitiesHeadlines Thursday, July 19th, 2012
Written by Umar Muhammed, Lafia Thursday, 19 July 2012
Youths in their hundreds, on Tuesday, apprehended one Mr Bashir Ali at the Moslem Cemetery on Al-Makura Street in Lafia, the Nasarawa State capital, for allegedly exhuming a human corpse for ritual purposes.
Investigation by the Nigerian Tribune revealed that the culprit was allegedly caught at exactly 5:00 p.m with human head, breast and some other parts of the dead woman who was said to have been buried some months ago.
Confirming the incident, the Deputy Police Public Relations Officer (DPPRO), Nasarawa State Command Mr Ocholi Cornelius, said investigation into the matter was ongoing, adding that the culprit was in police custody and would be prosecuted if found culpable.
According to him, the culprit was beaten to a state of coma before the police arrived at the scene of the incident and he had been taken to one of the hospitals in the state for treatment. The hospital the culprit was taken to as of the time of filing in this report was not ascertained.
The police, however, said that those who allegedly apprehended him and later beat him had no evidence to back their claim.
- Nigerian army ‘destroys’ Boko Haram camps in north-east
- Warri-based bishop arrested over kidnapping
- Kano: Slain 40 police officers’ families cry out
- Court sentences man to death by hanging for stealing Jeep
- Boko Haram: el-Rufai kicks against amnesty A •s Ajibola, Kanu, Agabi propose solution to corruption, insecurity
Short URL: http://newnigerianpolitics.com/?p=23216