Home » Governors, Headlines, Judiciary » Man attempts to behead judge in court •To appear in court on Monday •Another charged with attempt on gov’s life

Man attempts to behead judge in court •To appear in court on Monday •Another charged with attempt on gov’s life

THERE was pandemonium on the premises of the City Higher Sharia Court, Kanwurin Sarki, Gusau in Zamfara State, as a 27-year-old man, Safiyanu Musa, stormed the court with a cutlass and attempted to behead the judge, Alhaji Hadi Sani Gusau.
Eyewitnesses told the Saturday Tribune that Musa broke into the court session about 11.30 a.m. a few days ago charging at the judge and announcing his intention to kill him.

The judge was said to have, in an earlier judgment a year ago, sentenced Musa to one year imprisonment and 50 lashes, having found him guilty of inflicting injuries on a middle-aged man (names withheld). It was on completion of the one year jail term that he decided to decapitate the judge who sent him to jail last year.

A court clerk, who pleaded for anonymity, said: “He came inside the court when the court was in session and disrupted the court proceedings. Attempts to placate him failed as he kept shouting at the top of his voice that he had come to kill the judge.”

When he was prevented from carrying out his threat, Musa was said to have bolted out of the courtroom and attempted to escape arrest. He was subsequently apprehended and brought back to the court.

When the judge now asked why Musa wanted to kill him, the latter was said to have removed his dresses.

“It looked like he was drunk or had taken marijuana,” a source told Saturday Tribune.

The judge then ordered that he should be taken to the Central Police Station for interrogation. He was thereafter charged to the City Sharia Court, where the Sharia Court judge, Alhaji Hadi Sani Gusau, ordered that he be remanded in prison custody.

However, a court official told Saturday Tribune that due to the sensitivity of the case, the judge concluded that the case should be transferred to another court in order to give the defendant a fair hearing.

The Higher Sharia Court, Samaru, Gusau, where the case was transferred to, has therefore, fixed Monday for hearing on the matter.

Saturday Tribune gathered that the accused had inflicted over 100 cuts on the middle-aged man using a razor. Due to one of such injuries, the man had to undergo numerous treatments at a private hospital in Kano to prevent him from losing one of his arms to amputation.

Musa, the Saturday Tribune gathered, is a school dropout who has become a nuisance in his neighbourhood. He is said to be one of the notorious Area Boys who torment residents of Birnin Ruwan, a suburb of Gusau, the state capital.

On several occasions, he was said to have been on the wanted list of the police, but each time he managed to escape arrest.

Man docked for alleged attempt on Suswam’s life
By Johnson Babajide, Makurdi

A man who was alleged to have attempted to assassinate Governor Gabriel Suswam of Benue State recently in Vandeikiya Local Government Area of the state has been arraigned before a Makurdi Chief Margistrate’s Court.

According to the First Information Report, the suspected assassin, Wer Yima of Tse Yima Agba, Mbangul, Vandeikiya council, was on October 30 armed with a locally made pistol and dressed in military camouflage when he attempted to assassinate the governor.

He was said to have forced his way on the direction of the governor at the palace of the Ter Kunav, where the governor was paying homage before he was arrested.

The FIR further indicated that Mr Yima was alleged to have criminally trespassed into the palace of the Ter Kunav before the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) intercepted him.

The SARS squad led by Sgt Tor Geri allegedly arrested the suspect after which he was taken to the state Criminal Investigation Department (CID) for further interrogation.

He was charged with conspiracy, wearing dress used by public servants, unlawful possession of firearms, criminal trespass and attempt to commit culpable homicide.

The trial Magistrate, Mrs Theresa Wergba, who did not take plea for want of jurisdiction, adjourned the case to December 7, for further hearing.
Via Punch

Short URL: http://newnigerianpolitics.com/?p=26634

Posted by on Nov 23 2012. Filed under Governors, Headlines, Judiciary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Kogi Deputy Gov. Onoja blasts Sowore over comment on daughter

Headlines

We must decentralise police, power now – El-Rufai

Categories

Nigerian Army secretly bombing, killing Igbos in Akwa Ibom: Nnamdi Kanu

Browse Africa & World Politics

Featuring Top 3/2077 of Africa & World Politics

Browse National Politics

Featuring Top 5/1094 of National Politics

I thank God I went to prison – Kalu

Browse NNP Columnists

Featuring Top 10/1453 of NNP Columnists

Plot to nail Tinubu before 2023 thickens as EFCC steps up probe

Advertisements

--

FEATURED VIDEOS

Anarchy spreading fast in Nigeria, former head of state sounds warning

ARCHIVES

November 2012
S M T W T F S
« Oct   Dec »
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  

© 2021 New Nigerian Politics. All Rights Reserved. Log in - Designed by Gabfire Themes