Home » Boko Haram, Headlines » Chibok girls: Freed students reunite with families

Chibok girls: Freed students reunite with families

One of the kidnapped girls celebrates with a family member during an church survives held in Abuja, Nigeria

Grab from Boko Haram video with faces of girls blurred

Nigeria's Vice President Yemi Osinbajo welcomes some of the freed Chibok schoolgirls in Abuja

Twenty-one schoolgirls who had been kidnapped by the Islamist group Boko Haram in the Nigerian town of Chibok have been reunited with their families.

In an emotional ceremony in the capital Abuja, one of the girls said they had survived for 40 days without food and narrowly escaped death at least once.

It is unclear how the release was negotiated, but an official says talks are under way to free some more girls.

Of the 276 students kidnapped in April 2014, 197 are still missing.

One of the girls freed said during a Christian ceremony in Abuja: “I was… [in] the woods when the plane dropped a bomb near me but I wasn’t hurt.

“We had no food for one month and 10 days but we did not die. We thank God,” she added, speaking in the local Hausa language.

Many of the kidnapped students were Christian but had been forcibly converted to Islam during captivity.

Another girl said: “We never imagined that we would see this day but, with the help of God, we were able to come out of enslavement.”

Excited relatives were waiting to be reunited with the girls, who were released last Thursday.

One parent said: “We thank God. I never thought I was going to see my daughter again but here she is… Those who are still out there – may God bring them back to be reunited with their parents.”

Image copyright AFP
Image caption Boko Haram has shown some of those kidnapped in its propaganda videos

Nigerian authorities have denied reports that captured Boko Haram fighters were swapped for the girls. But one security official told the BBC that four commanders had been freed.

The AP news agency also reported that a “handsome ransom”, in the millions of dollars, was paid by the Swiss government on behalf of the Nigerian government.

Nigeria’s Information Minister Lai Mohammed said Thursday’s release was “the first step” for the liberation of all the remaining girls.

“Already we are on phase two and we are already in discussions,” he told journalists on Sunday.

“But of course you know these are very delicate negotiations, there are some promises we made also about the confidentiality of the entire exercise and we intend to keep them.”

Some of the kidnapped girls managed to escape within hours of their kidnapping, mostly by jumping off lorries and running into nearby bushes.

In total, 219 girls were captured and taken away. But it appears that some of the girls may have died in captivity.

And reports say that, following more than two years in captivity and after being married off to Boko Haram fighters, some of the girls do not want to go home.

-BBC

Related Posts

EasyFreeAds Blog News Facebook Twitter Myspace Friendfeed Technorati del.icio.us Digg Google Yahoo Buzz StumbleUpon

Short URL: http://newnigerianpolitics.com/?p=47035

Posted by on Oct 17 2016. Filed under Boko Haram, Headlines. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Headlines

NNP BREAKING NEWS:

Categories

Browse Books & Magazines

Featuring Top 3/13 of Books & Magazines

Browse Corruption Politics

Featuring Top 3/82 of Corruption Politics

Oshiomhole’s wife, 334 other foreigners get Nigerian citizenship

Browse NNP Columnists

Featuring Top 10/1179 of NNP Columnists

Browse National Politics

Featuring Top 5/638 of National Politics

Must Read: 5 Tips to Help You Find a Job That You Really Want

--

FEATURED VIDEOS

SEARCH POSTS BY DAY & MONTH

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1
2
3
45
6
789
10
111213
1415
1617
181920
2122
232425
26
27
28293031

© 2017 New Nigerian Politics. All Rights Reserved. Log in - Designed by Gabfire Themes