Home » Armed Forces, Army, Boko Haram, General Politics, Governors, National Politics » Army investigates Boko Haram attack on governor’s convoy

Army investigates Boko Haram attack on governor’s convoy

By Sumaila Ogbaje
Nigerian Army is to investigate Wednesday’s attack on the convoy of Gov. Babagana Zulum of Borno by suspected Boko Haram terrorists, Acting Director, Army Public Relations, Col. Sagir Musa, disclosed in a statement on Thursday in Abuja.

Musa said that the governor’s convoy came under terrorists fire while visiting Baga town.

He said the governor had earlier paid a visit to the Commander, 19 Brigade at the Nigerian Army Super Camp Baga where he was briefed about the prevailing security situation in the general area.

According to him, the unfortunate incident occurred shortly after the Governor and his entourage departed the Super Campaign to visit other parts of Baga town.

“The incident forced the Governor to abort his planned movement to Baga.

“Although, details of the unfortunate incident is sketchy and under investigation, efforts are ongoing to comb the area where the incident occurred with a view to track down and deal decisively with the attackers.

“An investigation is also in progress to identify the circumstances that led to the attack,” he said.

Musa however, said that the attach was an isolated and most unfortunate incident owing to the fact that normalcy had since been restored to Baga with socio-economic activities picking up.

“Nigerian Army wishes to inform the general public that it will continue to discharge its responsibilities professionally with respect for the fundamental human rights of all Nigerians and in compliance with the extant rules of engagement.

“The good people of Baga town and indeed the entire Borno State are enjoined to continue to provide credible information that will assist the security agencies to successfully combat terrorism as well as apprehend and flush out the perpetrators of the attack,” he said.

-NAN

Short URL: http://newnigerianpolitics.com/?p=56803

Posted by on Jul 30 2020. Filed under Armed Forces, Army, Boko Haram, General Politics, Governors, National Politics. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Nigerian cleric prays for Trump victory at US Supreme Court

Headlines

Ken Saro-Wiwa: 25 Balloons to the Sky – By Favour Barika-Laka and Victor Barika-Laka

Categories

Assets declaration: Magu shuns CCB’s summons

Browse #Endsars

Featuring Top 3/28 of #Endsars

Browse National Politics

Featuring Top 5/1041 of National Politics

Obasanjo congratulates Biden, says ‘it’s a victory of good over evil’

Browse NNP Columnists

Featuring Top 10/1435 of NNP Columnists

South East govs, Ohaneze, Wike meet over IPOB

Advertisements

--

FEATURED VIDEOS

Lagos State govt breaks silence on shooting at Lekki toll gate, sends directive to Army

ARCHIVES

July 2020
S M T W T F S
« Jun   Aug »
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  

© 2020 New Nigerian Politics. All Rights Reserved. Log in - Designed by Gabfire Themes