Home » Boko Haram, Latest Politics » Boko Haram changes tactics – to target schools, kidnapping of wives and children

Boko Haram changes tactics – to target schools, kidnapping of wives and children

The Islamic sect, Boko Haram, has threatened to adopt a change of tactics in a message posted on YouTube yesterday. The sect also restated that it was behind last week’s attacks in Kano saying bombings and shootings were to avenge the torture of its members.

“We were responsible,” a voice identified as that of suspected Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau says in audio played over a picture of him. “I ordered it and I will give that order again and again. God gave us victory.”

A spokesman for the group had earlier claimed responsibility for
coordinated bombings and shootings on January 20 in Kano which left at least 185 people dead. Police stations were the main targets.
Shekau said in the message that “we attacked the security formations because our members were arrested and tortured. Our women and children have also been arrested.” He then issued another threat: “They should know that they also have wives and children. We can also abduct them. It is not beyond our powers.
“Soldiers raided an Islamic seminary in Maiduguri and desecrated the Quran.

They should bear in mind that they also have primary and secondary schools and universities, and we can also attack them.”
The Boko Haram leader also accused the authorities of killing civilians in Friday’s violence.
“After we finished our war, policemen stuck around and started killing civilians and later blamed us,” he said. “We are not fighting civilians, but security forces. We only kill soldiers, policemen and their collaborators.”

The Kano attacks were the worst yet attributed to Boko Haram and occurred in a city that serves as the economic heart of the North. Another police station was attacked in Kano on Tuesday night, while an explosion also went off in the city on yesterday. A German engineer was also kidnapped on the outskirts of Kano yesterday. A video posted on YouTube earlier this month was also said to be of Shekau.

In the video, the man said to be Shekau issued a message to President Goodluck Jonathan and threatened further violence.
The appearance of the man in the video appeared significantly different than earlier images said to be of the Boko Haram chief, but a Western diplomat said “we assessed it was Shekau.”
-Sun

Short URL: http://newnigerianpolitics.com/?p=17235

Posted by on Jan 27 2012. Filed under Boko Haram, Latest Politics. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

2023: Wait for another time, Sen Orji Kalu tells Igbos

Headlines

PDP crisis: Atiku weighs options as Wike, colleagues refuse to concede

Categories

Browse Elections 2023

Featuring Top 5/37 of Elections 2023

Knocks as running-mate Kashim Shetima likens Bola Tinubu to late Sani Abacha

Browse Africa & World Politics

Featuring Top 3/2245 of Africa & World Politics

Browse National Politics

Featuring Top 5/1243 of National Politics

He has two planes, where is his company? – Peter Obi asks Tinubu and supporters

Browse NNP Columnists

Featuring Top 10/1519 of NNP Columnists

UK Govt in talks with Nigeria to receive migrants rejected for asylum in the UK

Advertisements

FEATURED VIDEOS

Nigeria record’s largest number of Christian deaths in 2021, says rights group, InterSociety

ARCHIVES

January 2012
S M T W T F S
« Dec   Feb »
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  

© 2022 New Nigerian Politics. All Rights Reserved. Log in - Designed by Gabfire Themes