Home » Breaking News, Niger Delta » Independence Day bombing suspect dies in prison – His counsel alleges murder

Independence Day bombing suspect dies in prison – His counsel alleges murder

Tiemkenfa Francis Osvwo (alias General Gbokos),

One of the suspected masterminds of the October 1, 2010 bombing in Abuja, Tiemkenfa Francis Osvwo (alias General Gbokos), died in the Kuje Prison on Saturday.

A statement by his lawyer in the case, Federal Republic of Nigeria v. Charles Okah & others, Mr. Festus Keyamo, alleged that Osvwo was murdered by the authorities.

Keyamo claimed that Osvwo’s death came on the heels of a series of complaints by the counsel representing him and his co-accused about the maltreatment meted out to the accused persons in prison.

“The sickness leading to the death of Tiemkenfa Francis Osvwo started when their cell was fumigated with a strange substance on the January 8, 2012, which affected the health of all the four suspects. Suffice it to reiterate that we, their solicitors raised the alarm about that development at the time.

“Prior to his death in custody, Gbokos had been urinating and defecating on himself in the prison and despite pleas by his solicitors requesting that he be treated properly, no one attended to him.

“On February 21, 2012, Osvwo collapsed in court which stalled hearing for that day but despite the order of the court that Osvwo should be medically attended to by the prisons authorities, no medication was administered on him. It was obvious therefore that the authorities wanted him dead,” Keyamo’s statement read.

Comparing the plight of his clients with that of suspects linked to Boko Haram bombings, some of whom are on bail, Keyamo said it was unfair that his clients were being maltreated in prison, when they were still supposed to be presumed innocent according to the law.

“At this juncture, we are constrained to state that we find it extremely inequitable that virtually all the suspects linked to the Boko Haram bombings have been enjoying bail while our clients, the alleged masterminds of the October 1, 2010 bombings (still presumed innocent) continue to suffer indignities in custody.

“We therefore, respectfully, call on all well-meaning Nigerians to join in the call for their bail and the Nigerian government to facilitate the release of the other suspects in custody with a view to attending to their deteriorating health before they die in custody,” the lawyer said.

According to Keyamo, other accused persons in the October 1, 2010 bombing still in Kuje Prisons are facing similar conditions that claimed Osvwo’s life.

-Punchwp_posts

Related Posts

Website Pin Facebook Twitter Myspace Friendfeed Technorati del.icio.us Digg Google StumbleUpon Premium Responsive

Short URL: http://newnigerianpolitics.com/?p=18544

Posted by on Mar 3 2012. Filed under Breaking News, Niger Delta. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Headlines

Categories

Browse Today’s Politics

Featuring Top 5/23 of Today's Politics

Our fear is that Akpabio cannot checkmate the ‘Yorubanisation’ of the financial system – Northern Senators

Browse Africa & World Politics

Featuring Top 3/2355 of Africa & World Politics

Browse National Politics

Featuring Top 5/1324 of National Politics

Pastor Enoch Adeboye: Ask God to kill me if…

Browse NNP Columnists

Featuring Top 10/1556 of NNP Columnists

Presidential Tribunal: Babatunde Fashola denies writing judgment, petitions Twitter to reveal fake news source

Advertisements

FEATURED VIDEOS

Group alleges plot to subvert justice at presidential election petition tribunal

ARCHIVES

February 2024
S M T W T F S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829  

© 2024 New Nigerian Politics. All Rights Reserved. Log in - Designed by Gabfire Themes