Home » Headlines, Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) » Immigration intercepts 198 victims of human trafficking in Lagos

Immigration intercepts 198 victims of human trafficking in Lagos

Immigration intercepts 198 victims of human trafficking in Lagos

By Christopher Oji  and Steve Agbota

The Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS), yesterday, said it intercepted 198 boys and girls suspected to be  victims of human trafficking in Lagos.

The acting Comptroller-General of Immigration, Mr Isah Jere Idris, who announced this in a statement by NIS Public Relations Officer, ACI Amos Okpu, said the suspected victims were intercepted by NIS  Lagos Border Patrol Command at Seme.

Speaking at the Zone ‘A’ headquarters of the Service in Lagos, the acting CG said the youths, made up of 115 girls and 74 boys between the ages of 15 and 20, were intercepted in batches on their way out of the country through the Seme border area.

According to him, 92 of them were intercepted on January 22, while another 97, were picked  by NIS’s vigilant operatives on January 24.

The victims while speaking with the acting CG,  said  they were on their way to Emerald University in Benin Republic, to commence Degree programmes. 

They stated that a faith-based organisation operating in Imo and Abia States offered them provisional admissions into the school.

100% Natural Herbs to Finally End Premature Ejaculation, Weak Erection and Small Manhood. Click Here Now .

“The victims who are from states like: Abia, Kogi, Anambra, Akwa Ibom, Rivers, Lagos, and Imo among others could neither present any admission letters nor evidence of payment of school fees for their studies. Moreover, only three of them hold valid travel documents.

“Investigation revealed that two persons, Sunday Emmanuel Chinasa and Ms. Rose Onum Uduma, who were also arrested along with the victims coordinated the trip,”

He revealed that the duo claimed to be students of ISCG University in Benin Republic and had been mandated to facilitate the movement of the youths to Benin Republic while each of the victims claimed to have paidN50, 000 for the process.

The Immigration boss, said, “I use this medium to call on the general public to beware of fraudsters who come up in diverse styles and antics to deceive unsuspecting people into accepting all manner of offers abroad.”

He maintained that the Service under his watch would  continue to ensure enhanced border security and migration management to discourage all forms of irregular migration.

He further called on the public to continue to offer useful pieces of information to the Service for a more robust fight against cross-border crimes.

He hinted that the 189 victims have been handed over to the officials of the Lagos Zonal Office of NAPTIP for further necessary processes.

-Sunwp_posts

Related Posts

Website Pin Facebook Twitter Myspace Friendfeed Technorati del.icio.us Digg Google StumbleUpon Premium Responsive

Short URL: https://newnigerianpolitics.com/?p=62127

Posted by on Jan 25 2022. Filed under Headlines, Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS). You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Headlines

Browse National Politics

Featuring Top 5/1338 of National Politics

Subscribe

Read more

Browse Today’s Politics

Featuring Top 5/37 of Today's Politics

Browse NNP Columnists

Featuring Top 10/1558 of NNP Columnists

Browse Africa & World Politics

Featuring Top 5/2370 of Africa & World Politics

Subscribe

Read more

ADVERTISEMENT

Categories

FEATURED VIDEOS

Advertisements

ARCHIVES

April 2024
S M T W T F S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  

© 2024 New Nigerian Politics. All Rights Reserved. Log in - Designed by Gabfire Themes