Home » Corruption Politics, EFCC Politics, Headlines » Obanikoro agrees to return N480m (So those lies of “I am innocent”)

Obanikoro agrees to return N480m (So those lies of “I am innocent”)

Senator Musiliu Obanikoro, former Minister of State for Defence, as part of the conditions for his release has been reported to have agreed to return N480m out of the N4.7 billion which the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission EFCC last week said he will be made to account for. This came as former presidential spokesman, Reuben Abati, was also reported to have told the EFCC that he does not have any money to refund to the government, sources within the agency said.

Vanguard learnt that aside the provission of two sureties, he also submitted his American and Nigerian passports to the EFCC. The source, who spoke in confidence, said that “the EFCC asked Obanikoro to submit his passports but was only willing to drop his Nigerian passport after much talks he acceded to submiting his American passport. We asked to produce two directors, who must also present a three-month salary pay slip. Musiliu ObanikoroMusiliu Obanikoro “He has returned N100m and has pledged to return N480m. The actual balance is meant to be N685m, but he was able to provide receipts for some transactions. He paid N85m to someone and that person has been traced. “He also bought some bulletproof vehicles when he was minister and they will be handed over to the EFCC. The cost of the vehicles will be deducted from the amount that should be returned. Having met the conditions, he should be released any time from now.” “Obanikoro claimed that he used part of his own share to do an anti-Boko Haram campaign in Lagos in 2014.

However, we found out that he wasn’t telling the whole truth because some of the money was spent on his governorship campaign when he was contesting against Jimi Agbaje during the PDP primary. “So, we asked him to return his own share of the money and he has promised to do so.” In his statement to the EFCC soome week ago, Obanikoro admitted giving Fayose N2.23 billion and $5,377,000 in cash while his associate, Mr. Abiodun Agbele, got N1.3 billion. He also admitted that the N1.3 billion was flown to Akure airport in two chartered flights for delivery to Agbele. The former minister said he also gave N1.7 billion to a former Osun Deputy Governor, Senator Iyiola Omisore, but did not say what the money was meant for.

The money was sourced from the $2.1billion meant for arms purchase at the ONSA. But Fayose has spit fire over Obanikoro’s revelations and accused the EFCC of bringing him from the U.S. under an arrangement to give him a ‘soft landing’ and use him to nail him (Fayose) and others named in the arms scam.EFCC-fayose Former presidential spokesman, Reuben Abati, has told the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission that he does not have any money to refund to the government, sources within the agency said. According to sources, PREMIUM TIMES, Saharareporters ssaid that Abati told interrogators that he had no immediate means of sourcing the amount for which he is being detained. The EFCC accuses Mr. Abati of receiving N50 million from the former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki. The money was part of $2.1 billion allocated for purchase of arms for the fight against Boko Haram, the EFCC says.

Mr. Dasuki is currently standing trial for allegedly misusing the money. The latest development came days after Mr. Abati reportedly promised to refund N5 million. The former presidential spokesperson has been in EFCC detention since turning himself in last week Monday. Apart from being unable to refund the money, Mr. Abati also allegedly told investigators that he could not provide documentary evidence showing how he spent the N50 million. Mr. Abati reportedly said he disbursed the money as cash and material gifts to journalists during the 2015 campaign. Reuben AbatiReuben Abati Asked to name names of media practitioners who benefited from the largess, Mr. Abati said he did not keep such records. “We thought he would be able to pay N5 million yesterday, but it turned out that he doesn’t have any money,” a source told PREMIUM TIMES Monday. Our source also clarified that Mr. Abati had met his bail conditions since Friday, but the EFCC had refused to release him.

The EFCC had on October 26 granted Mr. Abati an administrative bail, and required as one of the conditions for his release, a surety of the level of director in the federal civil service. Those conditions were met on Friday, our source said, but the EFCC failed to release him because of the stalemate over the N50 million. The EFCC spokesman, Wilson Uwujaren, did not respond to requests for comment.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/11/obanikoro-agrees-return-n480m-sources/wp_posts

Related Posts

Website Pin Facebook Twitter Myspace Friendfeed Technorati del.icio.us Digg Google StumbleUpon Premium Responsive

Short URL: https://newnigerianpolitics.com/?p=47163

Posted by on Nov 4 2016. Filed under Corruption Politics, EFCC Politics, Headlines. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Headlines

Browse National Politics

Featuring Top 5/1355 of National Politics

Subscribe

Read more

Browse Today’s Politics

Featuring Top 5/40 of Today's Politics

Browse NNP Columnists

Featuring Top 10/1560 of NNP Columnists

Browse Africa & World Politics

Featuring Top 5/2378 of Africa & World Politics

Subscribe

Read more

ADVERTISEMENT

Categories

FEATURED VIDEOS

Advertisements

ARCHIVES

July 2024
S M T W T F S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  

© 2024 New Nigerian Politics. All Rights Reserved. Log in - Designed by Gabfire Themes